Volunteering for Mercy Connect - a rewarding challenge that makes a real difference
If you’re based in Sydney, Melbourne, Ballarat or Perth and have previous experience in an educational setting, consider volunteering for Mercy Connect.
Each volunteer is assigned to work with an individual or small group of refugee students in a school.
You’ll play a role in overcoming racism in Australia and in breaking down cross-cultural barriers.
You’ll meet new people, share ideas and receive ongoing support from the Project Co-ordinator, In-school Co-ordinator and other volunteers.
- Working with refugee students under teacher guidance and direction, providing literacy and numeracy support
- Guiding students in assessments/assignments
- Assisting students in interpreting teacher instructions and questions
- Helping students to understand Australian culture and systems
- An interest in the educational needs of refugee students
- Appreciation of and sensitivity to different cultures
- Previous experience in an educational setting
- A flexible time schedule
- An easy-going, open-minded, friendly and resourceful personality
- Ability to attend training sessions and make a commitment to volunteer for a minimum of 12 months for three hours per week
- Commitment to attend volunteer evening seminars
How to apply
Download the job description below along with the application form.
Please read them carefully and decide if you wish to apply.
All volunteers are required to attend a two-day training session and must agree to a minimum of 3 hours a week for one school year.
For more information please contact:
Coordinator, Mercy Connect Sydney
Phone: (02) 9564 1911
Coordinator Mercy Connect Melbourne
Phone: (03) 9326 1895
Coordinator Mercy Connect Ballarat
Phone: 0417 624 330
Coordinator Mercy Connect Perth
Mercy Connect Volunteer